Wednesday 9 June 2010

I Could

Have you ever had a moment when your realise that your life from this day onwards will be different?

On Saturday night i returned home from Rebecca’s dance show. My husband had returned home a few hours before and had successfully managed to get both Eilidh and Ruaridh to sleep. I know this may seem like no big deal, my husband has put the children to bed before.

The surprise is he put Ruaridh to bed without any milk, Ru went to bed and as he does every night now and slept happily for 12 hours before waking.

For the first time in his almost 21 month Ru did not take milk to sleep.

It has opened my eyes to a new world of possibilities, i could miss bedtime if i needed to or go away for the night or go to an exercise class. If i wanted i could wean him and for the first time in almost 6 years have my body to myself. I could get really really drunk or go an extremely crazy diet and not worry about milk. Could drink Red Bull and let someone else deal with the kids if i get ill.

It has also made me realise that i don’t want to stop feeding. Yes i am loud and proud, Ru still breastfeeds at least half a dozen times a day. Rebecca only stopped a few months before her 3rd birthday and i imagine Ru will go at least that long.

What the weekend made me realise was i was no longer tied down by feeding; i can have my freedom if i want it. I can also stop looking at feeding as a burden but something that is done because both my son and i love and enjoy it.

What could possibly be wrong with that?

1 comment: